About Career Services
Our Mission–Our Goals–Our Activities–Our Policies
The Office of Career Services engages students to become active participants in developing and implementing their career plans and graduate/professional school pursuits. The office plays a unique and complementary role in the overall educational experience of students by helping them acquire knowledge and skills for effective performance to enter the world of work. Career services joins the College in affirming the interrelatedness of liberal learning and the ideal of vocation.
- To provide students with assistance in developing and clarifying their skills, interests, values, goals, and personality preferences for career choices and effective performance in the workplace and other professional settings;
- To maintain current and foster new recruiting efforts with employers that result in the advertisement of career positions and internships to LVC students and alumni; to build quality working relationships with regional employers;
- To utilize varying technologies to efficiently manage the career services operation and effectively market its resources and educational services among its varying constituencies (students, alumni, employers, faculty, parents, and the LVC community);
- To develop career programs to strengthen student learning outcomes in the classroom and within the co-curricular arenas;
- To make current and comprehensive career resources available to students and provide instruction in how to use the information for exploring careers and making informed decisions;
- To conduct systematic assessments and evaluations of services, programming, and personnel for consistency with best practices and current research, as well as to support institutional outcomes;
- To address resources (organizational, facility, staffing, financial, equipment, and technology) to effectively deliver services and to promote the professional development of staff; and
- To maintain policies and procedures that will uphold professional and institutional standards.
Our Core Functions and Activities
Key programs, events, and resources help students to:
- Explore possibilities for majors and careers;
- Gather information for making informed career decisions;
- Connect with others through networking events and alumni mentoring programs;
- Build a professional profile that demonstrates the skills, knowledge, and leadership potential sought by employers;
- Gain experience through work, internships, volunteer/community service, and participation in campus organizations;
- Find employment opportunities related to career aspirations through career fairs, on-campus interviews, networking events, and an automated career management system;
- Plan for graduate school with suggested timelines, practice admission tests, and assistance with the writing of personal statements; and
- Transition to the world of work by constructing strong resumes and convincing cover letters, demonstrating effective presentation skills for interviews, researching employers, and choosing/requesting professional references.
Our intention is to offer quality resources and services to help students explore options and be active participants in their job search. We are unable to 'place' individuals in an employment setting. An overview of specific resources, programs, and events for students may be found in the Resources for Students and What’s Happening sections of the career services website.
Key programs, events, and services to assist employers may be found in the Resources for Employers section of the career services website.
Key programs, events, and services to support faculty may be found in the Resources for Faculty section of the career services website.
Policies and Agreements Concerning Employers
Policies and Agreements Concerning Students