Active/Suspected Active Shooter(s) on Campus
In an active shooter situation, you should quickly determine the most reasonable way to protect your own life.
- Evacuate—If there is an accessible escape path, attempt to evacuate the premises.
- Hide out—If evacuation is not possible, find a place to hide where the active shooter is less likely to find you.
- Take action—As a last resort, and only when your life is in imminent danger, attempt to disrupt and/or incapacitate the active shooter.
- Call 911
- Call LVC public safety at ext. 6111
*Actions 1–3 are from FEMA recommendations made in their online training session for an active shooter scenario.
Suspected Active Shooter(s) on Campus Actions
- Remain alert and stay inside your current location.
- If outside, go to the nearest room and lock door.
- Call 911.
- Call LVC public safety at ext. 6111.
- Do not allow building access to anyone without a valid College ID.
- Alert other employees and be prepared to evacuate the building.
- Evacuate the building if directed to do so by College or other emergency officials. (See
- building evacuation procedures on page 4.)
- Return to the building only when given the “all clear” signal by emergency personnel.