Internships are invaluable in that they allow students to take the skills they've learned in the classroom and apply them in a professional workplace environment.
- ENG 099 Portfolio must be completed before a student can apply to receive credit for an internship.
- To receive academic credit, students must receive permission from the department chairperson and all major advisers and submit the required letters of recommendation to the faculty supervisor.
- Students must also submit a completed application (available in the registrar's office) to the registrar's office and to the faculty supervisor prior to registration.
- In addition to any work required at the internship location, during the internship and at its conclusion, students also have responsibilities that serve the academic component.
- Students have a faculty supervisor as well as an on-site supervisor to help guide them through the process.
- For every one-semester hour of credit, students must complete a minimum of 45 hours at the internship location.
For ideas and sources for locating an internship, students can go to the LVC's Center for Career Development Page
. The English department faculty also often provides details on specific internship openings.