Additional Certification Requirements
Students seeking teacher certification must also complete a number of additional processed and requirements outlined in the Steps to Pennsylvania Teacher Certification document on the Education Department web page. Along with other requirements, these include a minimum GPA and the following coursework:
1. Completion of one English composition course.
2. Completion of one English or American literature course.
3. Completion of two college-level mathematics courses.
4. Completion of required Special Education coursework:
SPE 250 Cog Devel of Diverse Learners
SPE 255 Special Ed. Process & Proced.
The following course is required for music education majors and may also be required for students transfering credits into any certification program from other institutions:
SPE 258 Instruct & Behav. Strategies
5. Completion of one of the following ESL courses:
For early childhood/special education certification: EDU 240 Lang, Diversity, Achiev.: Pk-8
For secondary education certification: EDU 245 Lang, Diversity, Achieve: 7-12
K-12 certification (art, languages, and music) candidates may take either course.