Intramurals Sportsmanship Policy
Purpose | Enforcement | Officiating
Referee Responsibilities | Team Captain's Responsibilities | Forfeits | Postponements | Tournament Play
The purpose of the Intramural Sports program at Lebanon Valley College is to provide
healthful exercise, promote leisure education, enrich social competence, and develop group
loyalty for the entire college community. All eligible students, staff, and faculty are
encouraged to participate fully in the program.
The goals and objectives of the Intramural Sports program are:
- To provide a variety of recreational sports and leisure activities, regardless of
ability level or experience.
- To provide a comfortable and relaxed social and recreational atmosphere for ultimate
interaction of the entire college community.
- To improve and maintain physical well-being.
- To develop skills in a variety of activities that may be carried on throughout one's life.
- To have an opportunity to release the frustrations and stress of the semester in an
- To Have Fun!!
Levels and Procedure for Enforcement of
Infractions and Misconduct
- Warnings by Officials/Scorekeeper.
- warnings by Supervisor.
- Ejection from game.
- Ejection from game and asked to leave facility.
- INTRAMURAL OFFICE: If a report is sent to the coordinators, the following steps will be taken:
- The individual/team gets written up.
- The Intramural Coordinator and Rick Beard will receive a report and make a phone call to the captain
and/or individual involved.
- The individual that was reported needs to make an appointment with the coordinator and/or
- Depending on the situation, written reports may also be asked of supervisors/officials and/or
- The opposing team may also be contacted.
- Sometimes a letter will be sent to the captain of a team.
- Depending on the severity of the situation, there is a minimum of a one game suspension
and a maximum of suspension from all Intramural activities. The individual and team, if allowed
to play, are on probation for the remainder of the season.
- Because sportsmanship is one of the criteria for inclusion in the tournament, unsportsmanlike
behavior can result in a team not advancing to the tournament.
- DEAN OF STUDENTS: Some cases may be referred to the Dean of Students for further action.
- POLICE: In extreme cases of threats, abuse, or physical confrontation, the police may
Statement to the Players Regarding Officiating
- The officials are there to call the game! The players are present to play the game! Therefore,
the players should not start calling the game.
- It is not an easy job!
- Officials should hustle, know the rules, and be in the correct position.
- They make the call as they see them and do the best they can.
- Just as you are not perfect, neither are the officials.
- Players and spectators at the intercollegiate and professional levels do not see a play as
the officials do!
Responsibilities of the Referees
- Record all the wins/losses after the games have been played on the Intramural Board in the arena
and also notify the Intramural Coordinators with the outcome of the games.
- Notify the IM coordinator with any players who are guilty of misconduct.
- Notify the IM coordinator of any forfeits or rescheduled games.
- Referees make $7.25 per hour-it is the responsibility of the referees to record their own hours
in the Intramural notebook at the front desk.
Team Captain's Responsibilities
Each Team entering an Intramural Sports Activity should elect a captain and an alternate
captain. These individuals will serve as a liaison between their respective ream and the
Intramural Sports office. The following are a list of responsibilities of the Intramural Captain:
- Submit correct team/player information and maintain current and updated information if the
roster changes during the season.
- Choose a team name that is selected in good taste and not offensive to individuals or groups
on the basis of race, place or origin, religion, disability, sex, age, or culture.
- Ensure that equipment is properly cared for during play.
- Know, understand, and share with all team members the rules, policies, and procedures of the intramural
sports program. Assume responsibility for adherence by you and your team.
- Notify all team members of the time, place, and date of all scheduled contests and make sure
they arrive at least ten (10) minutes prior to the scheduled time.
- Notify the Intramural Sports Coordinators in any event of a need for postponement at least
24 hours in advance.
- Contact the opposing team captain to set up a rematch.
- Schedule courts and refs for any rescheduled games.
- Make sure all team members are eligible to participate and all other policies and
procedures as listed in the Intramural Sports Guide are followed.
- Work with the Intramural Sports staff to ensure a safe, fun Intramural Sports experience
for all participants.
- Pick up surveys for all team members near the end of the season and return them to the Front
Desk of the Sports Center when completed.
- Record the win/loss on the IM board immediately following the game.
- Check the IM board, located in the arena, for updated scores and standings as well as
schedules and any schedule changes that are made.
A forfeit is the failure of a team to have the minimum number of players necessary
for competition in that sport or event present at the time they are scheduled to play.
Forfeit shall be assessed for the following: use of ineligible players,
unsporting behavior, and failure to appear for a contest.
Any team that forfeits two (2) times during the entire season of a sport will be
eliminated from further competition in that sport.
Postponements will be made only in rare and unusual circumstances. An event may be
postponed for the following reasons:
- Inclement weather: Contact the Intramural Coordinators for information in the
event of inclement weather.
- Any event that requires the majoring of team members to attend in an academic
setting. A postponement of this kind will be considered on an individual basis. The
Intramural Office will not accept individual requests from teams of individuals to
reschedule contests. Requests for rescheduled games must be submitted to the Intramural
Sports Coordinator at least 24 hours in advance of the time originally scheduled.
If the request is approved, both of the team captains will be responsible to reschedule
the postponed games on their own. This includes scheduling court time, if needed, and
locating referees. If the request is not approved, the game will be played as originally
NOTE: Players not listed on a team's roster may not be recruited when a team is lacking
players. Be sure that your own teammates will be present.
- Tournaments for sports will be played at the end of the season.
- Basketball, Volleyball, Flag Football, Softball, Whiffleball, Water Polo, and
Walleyball will all be involved in tournament play.
- The IM coordinators will notify the top teams that make the tournament and will do so
statistically by a "win" to "total number of games played" ratio.
- Captains will be notified of tournament time and locations.
- Prizes will be awarded to the winning teams.